Sunday, March 24, 2013

Ben's Recs: Bargain Shows


By: Ben Haager, General Manager

When I was in high school, I went to a lot of concerts. Then I came to college and became poor, and thus stopped going to as many concerts. Lately however, I have been on a roll finding budget concerts. Here are a few bands you can see for a bargain in Athens/Columbus in the coming months (you might see me there as well). 

1. Alt-J - 3/30/13 - The LC Pavilion in Columbus - $5 ($8.50 including those dumb Ticketmaster fees)
The "first dose" of CD 102.5 Day brings British band Alt-J as a headliner. The tickets sold out within two hours, but I was lucky to snatch up a couple tickets for myself. If you haven't heard this band yet, click this link and watch immediately. Anytime I attempt to describe them to someone, I completely blank, as they prescribe to no genre. My best explanation is alternative folk rock with some sort of an electronic mix. You'd be much better off just clicking that link.

2. Murder By Death - 5/2/13 - @ The Bluestone in Columbus - $13.00 (Purchase here)
I've already seen Murder by Death a couple times, and let me tell you, they put on one hell of a show. I like to describe them as whiskey-infused, dark folk. Their cellist is absolutely breathtaking live. If you'd like to buy me a whiskey sour when you see me there, I would be quite thankful.

3. Dawes & Shovels and Rope - 6/16/13 - @ The Bluestone in Columbus - $17.00 (Purchase here)
The opener is what really attracts me to this show. Shovels and Rope is the sweetest duo out there. Call it blues, call it country, call it good ole rock n' roll--they just play darn good music. I don't know too much about Dawes, but I do know their songwriter Taylor Goldsmith from the indie supergroup Middle Brother, whose debut album was one of my favorite albums two years ago. It's safe to say this show will be a rip roarin' good time.

4. Cave Singers - 4/3/13 - @ The Basement in Columbus - $12.00 (Purchase here)
A band I discovered through KEXP, the Cave Singers have quickly become one of my favorite bands. Simple and bluesy, yet utterly intriguing, their new album Naomi is absolutely phenomenal. It's uncanny how much great and diverse music comes out of Seattle. 

5. ACRN Lobsterfest - 4/25-27/13 - @ The Smiling Skull, The Union, and Central Venue in Athens - FREE
Shameless self-promotion? The headliners will be the Cloud Nothings. If that isn't enough to get you excited, the Turbo Fruits have also been announced as part of the three-day festival bill, with many more bands to come. Plus, IT'S FREE! 

I hate Ticketmaster.

No comments:

Post a Comment