Thursday, October 11, 2012

Dave's Recs: Top Heartstring Pullers


By: Dave Griffiths, Programming Director

Music truly is a robust art form. From happiness to sadness, music covers the entire spectrum of human emotion and all it needs is a good combination of notes and arrangements. Now, I mainly listen to a lot of fast-paced music, but every now and then I have to slow things down for those moments when you just feel like staring at the ceiling and reminiscing about life. These are those top heartstring pullers, so go grab a box of tissues because we’re about to get real sentimental.

1. "Ahead On Our Way" by Nobuo Uematsu

If you have every played the Final Fantasy series of video games, then you’ve already heard of this guy. This song appears in Final Fantasy VII, arguably one of the best of the series. The entire soundtrack perfectly fits the setting, characters and storyline and helps create a truly memorable gaming experience. However, I chose this song because of its simple, calming melody with a subtle backing track that really knows where to hit you in the heart. The song reminds me of growing out of childhood innocence, yet never forgetting those times. Maybe you’ll feel the same way.


2. "How Can You Mend a Broken Heart?" by Al Green

I would list almost every Al Green song in this category if I could, but sadly, I can only choose one.  The reason I chose this song was just because of how relatable and raw it really is. Listen to the lyrics layered over a low-tempo classic soul arrangement and you’ll hear and feel one of the most realistic accounts of heartbreak ever recorded. It’s a perfect song to put on when staring out of the window as rain slowly slides down the pane.


3. "Thinking Loudly" by El Ten Eleven

I already discussed in an earlier entry why El Ten Eleven is a band you should definitely listen to.  When I first heard this song, I was struck by the slowly growing, moderate tempo opening that just perfectly explodes into this slow, emotionally driven barrage of guitar chords and cymbal crashes. In that moment, I’m hearing emotion and it’s hard not to link an emotional instrumental tune to a tough moment in your life.


4. "Jesus Christ" by Brand New

I started listening to Brand New when I was in high school, so naturally, there were a lot of moments in my life that Brand New helped me get through. Out of all of their songs, I’ve always felt that "Jesus Christ" was one of their deepest and most personal. The subject matter in itself is deep enough, but the fact that these personal lyrics are being sung over this melancholy progression of simple guitars and rhythms only deepens that emotional response. It’s a beautiful song to listen to, but keep the Kleenex on hand just in case.


5. "Luna" by Smashing Pumpkins

This is probably the only song on this list that isn’t necessarily sad. The lyrics are about just being in love, and I guarantee the dreamy guitar sound and slow tempo will help to churn up some old memories of that first time you ever experienced that feeling.


6. "Blue Boy" by Texas is the Reason

I couldn’t do a list of emotional songs without touching on one of the big bands in the '90s emo movement. I chose this song because of its simple melodic intro and moderate tempo compared to some of their other songs. It’s definitely not a tear jerker, but it will still help you to look back on some of your memories of the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment