Sunday, May 20, 2012

Kory's Recs: A Buffet of Music

By: Kory Kasler, Promotions Director


For this Exec Recs blog, I really don't have an overriding theme that
links all of my recommendations, so it's going to be a smorgasbord of
all kinds of musical greatness for you to enjoy. Grab your silverware,
tuck that napkin into your shirt collar and get ready to dive in.

1. Lobsterfest 2012

How could I book a music festival and not recommend that everyone be in
attendance? Lobsterfest is an annual music festival put on by ACRN at
the end of each and every spring quarter, and this year, we'll be
carrying on that tradition with over 20 great bands across three days!
With so many bands, it's impossible to give a sample of each and every
artist appearing at the festival, but enjoy these two clips of this
year's co-headliners, Pujol from Nashville, TN and Xray Eyeballs from
Brooklyn, NY.






For the full Lobsterfest lineup, visit the Facebook event at:
http://www.facebook.com/events/281329951958403/

2. Pariso

I ran across Pariso where I discover 99% of the new music I listen to
nowadays -- Bandcamp. I've found a whole mess of great hardcore bands
browsing around there and Pariso is a recent find that I really like.
They remind me a lot of another one of my favorite bands Norma Jean,
and they could especially be compared to Norma Jean on their O' God,
the Aftermath album. They've got a real simple style with few frills
and it definitely works well for them.



3. Chiodos



Chiodos wasn't just my favorite band when I was in high school; it 
was more of an obsession. I saw them live with some of my friends when 
they were on tour with From First to Last, Every Time I Die and
 Atreyu, among others. Eventually, both the drummer Derrick Frost and their frontman Craig Owens were removed
from the band, which was quite a big deal for me. They just announced 
that they have made up and gotten back together and I'm beyond 
thrilled to hear the news. I definitely recommend their album Bone
 Palace Ballet, which in my opinion is a post-hardcore masterpiece.




4. Regina Spektor Singing in Russian

Regina Spektor is one of my favorite artists, and of course I knew she
was born in Russia and came to the United States with her family when
she was young. I grabbed up her 7" Record Store Day release, "Regina
Spektor Sings Two Bulat Okudzhava Songs In Russian" and it's
incredible. You'll see for yourself in the clip.




5. Child Bite

This band is nothing but awesome. The music is great, their live show
is great, their new 10" "Monomania" is great -- they're just great. If
you get a chance to see them, DO IT because you won't regret it. Shawn
Knight and company stopped through Athens earlier this year for an
ACRN show and played a killer set. Spending a little time with them
was loads of fun. Shawn also makes some of the best screen printed
artwork I've ever seen, so check out his website full of great screen
prints.




No comments:

Post a Comment