Thursday, February 16, 2012

Kory's Recs: "This One Time On Bandcamp"

By: Kory Kasler, Promotions Director

I don't use iTunes. I don't have a Spotify account. I've never used last.fm. I just spend way too much time on Bandcamp, and I thought I'd share some albums I've stumbled upon during that time.


1. "Sad Bastard EP" - Algebra




Algebra is a really solid alternative hip-hop act from Tulsa, Oklahoma. I am a big fan of Cincinnati hip-hop artist Evolve, and this album immediately reminded me of that same style. I wish there were more of this in the world and less Wiz Khalifa or Lil Wayne.

2. "SON.R22" - Hexis



European black metal/grind artist Hexis is definitely one to check out if you are into black metal. It adds a ton of intensity with the ultra-fast grind element and forms a really solid album. Check it out for sure.

3. "Demo 2011" - Traitors



Traitors is a strange mix of hardcore, punk, thrash and sludge. They do a great job of switching between the styles and still making the demo sound like an album and not just a collection of songs. The first track comes in and is really sludge-heavy, and then they go into the second track that is faster and has more of a thrash element in it. It's really interesting, and is definitely one for a fan of hardcore.http://www.blogger.com/img/blank.gif

4. "DOMESPLITTER" - Direct Hit!



This is one of the best pop-punk albums I've stumbled across in a long time. It's got really catchy lines and a lot more energy than a lot of pop punk bands I've seen. The scratchy, screamed vocals really bring it all together to make it sound more intense than you'd expect from a pop punk band. Great album!
http://www.blogger.com/img/blank.gif
5. "Follow Me" - Chalk Dinosaur



Chalk Dinosaur is a really eclectic project that encompasses some elements of surf rock, indie pop, funk, and all kinds of other odds and ends and really makes something unique. It's always good to see someone doing something new rather than copying what other people have done in the past. Definitely check it out. With that many different things mixed together, there's got to be something you like.

1 comment:

  1. This is John O (Chalk Dinosaur). Just wanted to say that it's awesome that you find new music almost exclusively through surfing bandcamp. I'm glad you found "Follow Me", and I appreciate the kind words and recommendation.

    ReplyDelete