Monday, March 31, 2014

Megan's Recs: Songs I'm Listening to a Lot Lately That You Should Be, Too

By: Megan Fair, General Manager

1. "Water Fountain" - tUnE-yArDs

This politically-charged track from tUnE-yArDs' new record is undeniably catchy and the bridge is perfect parts dissonant and bizarre and palatable and jam-worthy. "Water Fountain" makes me want to light big businesses and the government on fire and perform a wild abstract dance around my fiery work. 


2. "Dance Yrself Clean" - LCD Soundsystem 

Maybe it's just nostalgia from early ACRN shindigs, but "Dance Yrself Clean" is a song that is guaranteed to put a huge smile on my face. James Murphy is a musical genius, and I'm honestly considering dropping whatever outrageous amount of money to purchase the Record Store Day release of The Long Goodbye, five LPs of the live audio recordings of LCD Soundsystem's final show at Madison Square Garden. 


3. "Forgiven/Forgotten" - Angel Olsen

Angel Olsen is an artist to watch in general, but this track has currently snatched my heart and refuses to let go. Her haunting and unforgettable voice paired with distorted guitars and rich bass is too good not to listen to several (hundred) times a day.


4. "Play" - iamamiwhoami

This isn't just music--it's an audiovisual project. This ethereal and danceable electronic track is sonically immense, and I recommend listening to all of iamamiwhoami's tracks with over the ear headphones for the full experience. This is an oldie, but it's still one of my favorites. I try to sing this song in the shower, but to be honest, I don't know the words and I can't sing that high. Still an absurd tune. 


5. "Nakamarra" - Hiatus Kaiyote

Hiatus Kaiyote was up for a Grammy for its live performance of this track for good reason. The bluesy number is perfect for a walk through College Green and the rest of Athens while daydreaming of your bae.


6. "Rattlesnake" - St. Vincent

I'm seeing St.Vincent very soon, and I am SO excited that it actually hurts. Just watch this live video and try not to fall in love. 


7. "I" - Perfect Pussy

I have dreams of seeing this incredible track live and thrashing around with my heart swelling as I feel myself full of light and joy and peace, so much so my heart almost bursts. I think letting go to this song may actually be the most alive I could ever feel. 


8. "Work" - Iggy Azalea 

Hey, Iggy! I too have been up all night (at Chipotle) tryna get that rich, so I identify with this song. It's my guilty pleasure, so I put it last.


While you're at it, check out the Clueless-inspired video for "Fancy."

No comments:

Post a Comment